Monday, May 3, 2010

When Macy was born, I said to a friend... "Well, nobody wants their child to be born with Down Syndrome. Or any other disability for that matter. But, this is who Macy is and I still love her. I am doing what any other loving mother would do!"

But than this happened...

I met a woman about a month ago behind the American Airline desk at the airport. We will call her Jane. Well, Jane has a sister with Down Syndrome. We'll call her sister Sally.

Now let me clear something up...The staff at American Airlines here know us well, since Tommy flies so much. A few of the staff were aware that we had a new baby and that she was in the hospital. They also knew that she had Down Syndrome.

So when we went to check Tommy in for his flight in March, I was told that Jane wanted to talk to me and she was dying to meet little Macy. She just hugged her and loved her and held her... it was so sweet!

She talked to me about her sister Sally for quite some time; while I waited for Tommy's plane to take off. Sally is in her 40's, married to an autistic man and living a fulfilling life. Sally and Jane do lots of traveling together since Jane works for American Airlines. But the most amazing thing that Jane told me was...

Since she was little she has always wanted a child with Down Syndrome. She told me that her sister was just so special to her and going up with her made such an impact on her life. She was so sincere!

and then I see all these other mom's with blogs. Most of them had a child with Down Syndrome... then fell so madly in love, that they adopted another Down Syndrome child. AMAZING!

These people are inspiring!

These are the true hero's in the world!

and I Thank You all for continuing to open my eyes... so I can see the world with more color!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Great story - thanks for sharing! We adopted our little guy with Ds and I can't imagine adopting any other child.

Melanie said...

My brother in law has a sister with downs syndrome and really wants a baby with downs syndrome, and was jealous, and excited for me when they thought Ryley might have it. So close to heaven every day!

Runningmama said...

This story is so wonderful and so encouraging for those of us with little ones with DS...thank for sharing it with us!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful!!!!!!

I get so excited about Emmie being in our lives and bringing so much joy to everything we do. I wish everyone could have this incredible experience, and see the colors that we see!

Thanks for sharing this awesome story!

Books

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visits from my friends

Blog Archive