Thursday, April 2, 2009

A big scare...

So, last night around 5:30. I was downstairs getting ready to start dinner and had set Kyla in the living room with some Cheerios. While I was loading the dishwasher, Kyla Screamed. I looked up and saw that she had touched the glass of the fireplace (which was on). I ran and grabbed her and rushed her to the sink. It was good that my big helper Tommy was there, he got a bunch of things gathered for me, so we could head to the hospital. Tommy was actually really scared for his sister and was crying. But he was being so brave and helpful! Turns out we are lucky! Kyla only had 1st and 2nd degree burns on her palms. They bandaged her up and gave us some pain killers for her. She is dealing with it quite well (unlike her daddy!), although she doesn't like the "mitts" she has on her hands :) I took her back today to have them reassessed and had the dressings changed. They had formed blisters that had to be cut away. This she did not like! The skin under those blisters is sensitive to air. But, the doctor thinks they look okay. She will probably have gauze on for a week or so and they are letting me do the dressing changes now. It's so sad! Barry says we aren't turning the fireplace on anymore and he actually thought about ripping it out of the house completely! He is a little irrational when it comes to one of his kids in pain! I am just SO HAPPY that it wasn't worse!!!

After we got home from the hospital and put Tommy to bed, Kyla kept going back in his room. She likes to climb in bed with him or touch his face. I think I took her out of there 30 times. She absolutely loves that kid! I finally shut his door and she just sat outside the door like a little puppy!

14 comments:

Carla McDaniel said...

i am so sorry that happened to her. it is so hard when they get hurt like that and you feel so helpless with their pain.

Lindsay Cranmer said...

Ahh I'm dying for you guys, that is scary! I'm so sad just thinking about it.
P.S. I'm never turning my fireplace on again either!

The Adams Family said...

I hope recovers quickly, give her extra kisses for me. I didn't realize that they got that hot!

Melanie said...

I am amazed at how resilient little people are, and very impressed with how calm and collected you are about it!

Kira said...

oh I am so glad that she is ok though! I will miss you while I am gone!

Debbi said...

OH NO! I bought a fireplace cover/gate from Pottery Barn a few years ago, so I can turn on the fireplace and the kids can't get at it. And it looks nice. Maybe Barry will like that idea better than ripping up the house?!

Nancy said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It is so sad when they are in pain. Tylee did that in our old house, and it was the only time the fireplace was ever on. It was horrible.

Jacquie said...

that is awful! I am glad that it wasn't too bad.

You Know. said...

awee that's tragic! throw out the fireplace! haha.
i hope she recovers quickly!

Shannon said...

That is so sad! I hope she starts to feel better soon. Burns I think are the worst! I hope she gets back to normal soon.

Amanda said...

Did you know this happened to Saeryn?? Kyla is so lucky she has only 1st and 2nd degree burns. Saeryn had 3rd degree burns and had to have skin grafts and will have further surgeries when she's older. She has nasty scars on both hands. PLEASE EVERYBODY! TURN OFF YOUR FIREPLACES WHILE YOUR BABIES ARE AWAKE! Or get a fireplace cover. These incidents happen all too often. Just ask the Burn Unit at Calgary Children's.

Over The Moon X 5. said...

I am glad that you have such a helper in Tommy for this crappy day! My sisters little boy has had burns on his hads 3x's now, gauze and all!! Little guy just doesn' get it!! He is so sweet though!! Hope your little Tia recovers quickly!!

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

So Sad!! I know we worry about our fireplace too. We don't turn it on unless the kids are in bed. I did have a day a while back though that 2 of my kids burned their hands in the same day seperate incidents! I felt like the worst Mom ever! I'm so glad that she's bouncing back though. Good luck with the rest of the healing!

Sound like those two are just peas in a pod. Cute!

The Child Family said...

i hope she is much better by now. i didn't know about this. i haven't read blogs in a long while. brooke ann was burned when she was a baby too. she was burned by the electic heaters. evil things! HAPPY EASTER!

Books

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visits from my friends

Blog Archive